Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The One with the Nostalgia

            I promised one more reflection-laden post before signing off, and here it is! It may seem that there’s been a pretty significant gap between this and my last post, but there’s a method to the madness. After drafting a farewell post in early June, I decided that I wanted to wait and rewrite later in the summer, when I’d had more time to reflect. With the San Fermin Festival ending in Pamplona and my last straggling school mates from UNAV finally headed home, now seemed like the perfect time to wrap up this blog.
            To begin, I’d like to address some clichés. Before I left for Spain, people told me that my semester abroad would be a life changing experience, my mind would be broadened, and I’d make amazing friendships. For all my disdain for clichés, they become popular for a reason. This was certainly true in my case, as all of these adages proved to be accurate. Some say that there are five stages to studying abroad: Excitement, disorientation, loneliness, homesickness, and acceptance. While some days were better than others, overall I stayed in the excitement filled honeymoon phase of my semester abroad for the whole five months. As someone with a poor sense of direction, disorientation is somewhat second nature, and I was never lonely with friends living minutes away from my flat. In terms of homesickness, there were of course people and things I missed from home, but never so extremely that I felt it impeded my experience.
            One of my greatest takeaways from my time in Pamplona is that the rest of the world isn’t as America-centric as we tend to believe stateside. Though I previously thought myself to be fairly worldly and enlightened, five months later I realized that I’d been going through life with blinders on to the rest of the world. Upon returning, I won’t say that I don’t still harbor a tendency towards viewing my surroundings with somewhat of an all American bias, but I like to think that I’ve at least widened my blinders and that I will continue to do so.
            Now, rather than continue to ramble about my nostalgia and the glory days in Pamplona, here are my promised do’s and don’ts for studying abroad

Do:
1)    Research your school and city before choosing a program. Just because a city has an amazing nightlife doesn’t mean the school has enough classes in your major, and a great school might be in an area that you hate.
2)    Take advantage of activities and opportunities offered through your host university. They are usually fun and can cost less than they would if you did them on your own.
3)    Make friends with both local and international students. It’s important to soak up the culture of your “home” country, but you can learn a lot from your international peers as well!
4)    Set aside long weekends for more distant trips.
5)    Budget wisely and prioritize your expenditures.
Don’t:
1)    Hang out exclusively with people from your own country or school. You can do that every other semester.
2)    Spend every weekend travelling. It’s important to take time to establish your life in your home city and that’s hard to do when you’re away during the most social part of the week.
3)    Travel to other countries at the expense of seeing different parts of your home country. While it’s great jetting off to Paris for the weekend, it’s important to explore the country you’re studying in as well!
4)    Get too wrapped up in what’s going on back home. Talk to your friends and family, but don’t get so sucked into what’s going on there that you distance yourself from what’s around you. This also goes for home university friends studying abroad at other schools.
5)    Plan everything out in advance. Spontaneous travel is fun and you’ll want to plan trips with your new friends when you get there!
Thank you to everyone who has followed along with my semester in Spain. It was the experience of a lifetime and one I’ll always be thankful that I had. But for now, I’m off to find my next big adventure.


Hasta Luego!


No comments:

Post a Comment